Tuesday 11 June 2013

Eko oni baje o!

Those of you who follow my other blog will find a post on this. It straddles the purpose of both blogs so I thought I would post again! Eko oni baje o! I didn't learn that phrase in my Yoruba lessons and my dad has only used the word 'baje' once or twice within my exam period this year. I learnt it in this video below. It's an explosion of culture, language and patriotism.

You hear so often that African states can't prosper because there are too many languages and it is best to use English to aggregate the cultures. In Lagos, the language is Yoruba. The city is often referred to by its original Yoruba name and you know for a fact that not every person cheering "Eko oni baje" is an omo yoruba. People have bought into Yoruba culture which defines Lagos culture, the filas and geles were looking on point. Mo feran Eko pupo!

No comments:

Post a Comment